REMINDER: We will be hosting again the week beginning: December 26, 2015.
Click here to view the sign up list.
If you are able to volunteer at all, please contact me, Diane Seltzer, so I can enter your name on the signup sheet:
SCENARIO: a family no longer has their house or apartment. WHY? loss of job, rent increase, unexpected medical bills... Congregations around the country are empty overnight, so after checking/vetting the families, we allow some families to spend the night at a congregation. During the day they go to a Family Promise Center and get guidance on how to get their lives back on track. Take a look at the schedule below to see where your help is needed.
DOES THIS PROGRAM WORK?? Y - E - S
Since opening our doors in December, eight families (9 adults, 17 children) have been guests of Family Promise.
With Family Promise assistance, the following goals were achieved:
- Three adults found work.
- Three parents enrolled in higher education.
- Two parents enrolled in GED programs
- Two program graduates moved into permanent housing
- Four children were linked to developmental or behavioral resources for their special needs
- One family ended all public assistance
- Informational assistance was provided to 42 families who did not enter the program.
Family Promise is all about children and their families, so all volunteers are encouraged to bring their children.
Shomrei Torah is hosting again during the week of December 28th through January 4th and we are looking for volunteers who can:
- spare two hours during that week to stay at Shomrei Torah (for a 2 hour shift) and keep our guests company between 5:30 pm to 10:00 pm. Or spend the night and sleep from 10:00 pm to 7:00 am each day. Sometimes that means just reading your own book. We need two 'chaperones' at all times.
- need people to cook a dinner meal for 5 adults & 5 children. A meat meal must be cooked at Shomrei or bought at a kosher facility (e.g. Kosher Nosh). If you would like to make a dairy meal, it can be made at your home, double-wrapped with tin foil and in a throw-away container that can be heated in the Shomrei oven.
- if you don't have TIME to spare - a dollar donation can always be used to help us buy supplies for the week. Check can be made payable to Shomrei Torah and note that it is for Family Promise.
Below is a schedule for the week with all of the openings that need to be filled. The schedule below will be updated as we get volunteers. but you must call or email me so I can enter your name onto the spreadsheet:
If you are able to volunteer at all, please contact me, Diane Seltzer, so I can coordinate:
Day Phone: 201-805-8077
Evening Phone: 973-633-6769
Thank you for reading this and let's have another successful hosting week!